Saturday, January 10, 2009

Holiday Hang Over!

This Christmas was a wake up call for me.  It's not fun anymore.  Does this mean I have crossed over to the old side?  Have I become a scrooge?  OMG!  The holidays provided everyone in the house an excuse to shirk their chores.  By the time Christmas was over my house (especially the kitchen) looked like a landfill!  Yuck!  I was so pissed and the Christmas tree was in my cross hairs!  I almost tore that thing down and threw it in the trash!  Luckily, my family knows me and loves me enough to know when I've had enough.  They started pitching in and helping clear up.

Now that I've had time to look at what happened in an rational manner I realized that I am partially to blame for my frustration.  After all, I could have asked for help or mentioned to the kids that their chores be done before they partake in the festivities.  I got sloppy and did what they did...actually, they probably all were just following my lead.  I was shirking my responsibilities, too!

Kids are watching!  Believe me on this one!  They are learning from our gestures, words, and actions.  It doesn't matter what you tell them, if they don't see you setting the example, they won't bother with it.  I already knew this basic principle of parenting...I just needed a sore reminder.

So, next Christmas I'm planning it earlier.  Chores will be kept up on and I will strive to set a better example for my kids so that 2009's Holiday Season is filled with Peace and Joy.

No comments: